Monday, March 5, 2012

A friend has this quotation on his office wall: "I know worry works because nothing I worry about ever happens."

I think I believe and resonate with those words of wisdom because I used to worry a lot -- and about the most insignificant things. I would worry about the big things as well of course, like health, relationships, and finances. But I used also fret about anything and everything that found its way into my consciousness.

Because I spent so much time on worry, I decided to embrace it and deal with it by turning it into a learning project. With and open mind and spirit, and with much research here is what I learned and applied in my life with significant results:

1. Notice when worry took out its running shoes and take a spin around my mind. 


Here is what I did - I would practice catching myself at it and say, "Hey, I'm worrying again." Once during my worry project while on my daily morning power walk, I caught myself worrying 10 times! I'm not kidding. What also learned during my worry project was that on those rare days when I didn't have anything to worry about, I would find something. What I've learned at the conclusion of my worry project is that worry is a mental habit that can be changed. I also rememberedh that I have the power to change my mental habits; and you do too, so take heart because there's hope.

2. Practice being the center of the Universe.


My second approach was to practice presence. By this I mean stopping my thoughts. In my workshops, I ring a bell to help participants practice mental and physical centering. The quieter we are, the longer we hear the bell. There's a lovely moment when we all listen . . . until the ring is barely audible . . . then just a memory. I relish that moment of quiet before my thoughts reengage. There is no future or past, just Now. No worrying thoughts -- no thoughts at all. It's a peaceful place, which is why I always attempt to stretch the moment. I want to strengthen the connection to something greater than my worries.

When I told my good friend Chang, a retired Buddhist Nun, about my worry project, she shared with me her approach, which is to do one of three things: decide to address the issue right then; if you can't do anything about it at the moment, give yourself a time to address it later; or decide that it is not important and let it go. In other words, act on it, file it or throw it away.

Finally, one of Chang's favorite worry stoppers (and mine) is to sing. Connect with your self, your creativity, and the place where everything really is okay by raising your voice in song.

Awareness and acknowledgment are the keys to changing your habits. Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of the martial art of Aikido spoke awareness as the 'Art of Peace', and said that we must "always practice the Art of Peace in a vibrant and joyful manner." One thing my worry project did was to help me to lighten up, laugh, and to smile, and to live each day in peace and joy.

Are you worrying? Take the time right now to stop your thoughts for a moment. Listen to the sounds around you, pay attention, and be present to this key moment. And smile for no reason at all, because you may find that's the best reason of all.



##
Copyright 2012, by Dardarji. All rights reserved. If you would like some additional information on self improvement, meditation, and spirituality go to http://www.transformationalspirituality.com/ to down load free ebooks, mp3's, and other resources. Like us on Facebook!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search

Bookmark Us

Delicious Digg Facebook Favorites More Stumbleupon Twitter